How an item needs to be prepared before it can be woodgrained. This information is also available in an easy to print PDF document.
Condition of Parts
All parts should be prepped using the following steps:
- Strip parts to bare metal.
- Do any metalworking such as dent removal, welding, or grinding, etc.
- Apply a good quality automotive epoxy primer to the entire part.
- Complete bodywork and re-prime as needed.
- Apply at least 3 coats of filler primer and wet sand smooth. Be sure to re-prime any bare metal spots.
- All parts are submerged in water and vigorously rinsed so be sure that ALL surfaces are primed
- Any porous parts such as wood, must be completely sealed on all sides and edges to prevent swelling when submerged and rinsed.
When your parts are received, they are inspected for damage, washed, scuffed with Scotch Brite for adhesion and re-washed. Any prep other than this will be at an hourly rate of $80.00 per hour with a minimum of one hour. This would subject to the customers written approval.
Shipping your Parts
- Before sending in any parts, a job number must be obtained. This number will be used to track the job once it arrives in our shop. To obtain a job number, simply call 860-872-1932 and ask for a job number. Be sure to mark this on the outside of the package.
- When packing your parts, be sure to pack them in a sturdy container that will make to trip both ways. Keep in mind that the parts will likely be wrapped better when they leave here after woodgraining, so incorporate some wriggle room inside the box and pack with extra packing material. If we need to buy or construct a box to return the job in, there will be an additional charge based on the size of the job and it be included in your quote.
- Be sure to include a complete parts list. This is important in case there is an issue with the package on its way here and also so that we can be sure we have all of the parts for the job. If a job is received without a parts list, we will not start the job until one is provided.
- We insure every job that leaves the shop to cover not only our work, but the actual replacement value of the parts if lost or damaged. Be sure to insure all parts when shipping them to us as well.
Choosing a Pattern
There are several Ways to select a grain pattern.
- From our websites at www.julianos.com or www.woodgrainit.com, from a previous job, or to match an original grain.
- Grain direction must be taken into consideration. We will need written approval verifying grain layout prior to starting the job.
- Samples may be obtained as needed, but must be returned once a pattern is selected.
- Special order patterns are available for an additional charge. Price is based on the film width and varies by film.
Estimate – An estimate is given during the initial phone conversation and is based on our understanding of the size and scope of the project. It does not include prep, special films, or shipping and should only be used as a rough idea of cost.
Quote – Once the parts have been received, inspected, and a pattern has been selected, a written quote will be presented for the customer’s approval. This quote will take all of the variables discussed into consideration and will need to be reviewed, signed, and returned before work will start on the job.
This information is also available in an easy to print PDF document.